Project Manager - Chancery Office

Diocese of San Jose - San Jose

Admin & Clerical
The Project Manager for the Diocesan Synod will have leadership skills in facilitating, communicating and leading projects. This position will be pivotal to the successful delivery of results in the planning and implementation process of a Diocesan Synod and in helping create, manage, and execute project scope, schedules, resources, and change management. The position will also help in the logistical implementation of Synod plans working closely with the Bishop, Vicar General, and Chief Operating Officer.

This role is initially responsible for two main areas of work: (1) Project managing the Synod process (approx. 40% time) and (2) successful delivery and logistical implementation of project outcomes working with parishes, schools and Chancery (approx. 60% time) and, thereafter, supporting these initiatives and ministry across the Diocese.


(other duties may be assigned)

Vision, Strategy, Leadership:

Provides organizational, technical, operational, financial, and managerial support leading up to the Synod process to ensure the long-term success and sustainability of project goals.
Provides logistical planning implementation including all activities, outputs, and outcomes related to project management and administration, including reporting, budget development and monitoring, logistics, execution of project plans, and project performance.
Be the primary liaison and support to the Steering Committee scheduling meetings, planning agendas, providing training, communicating updates and reporting regularly to key leadership, stakeholders and groups.
Leads change management processes and promotes best practices in project management, dealing with conflict and addressing any barriers or resistance to change effectively and using a team approach, in consultation with the COO.
Communicates with the COO on all critical operational matters and provides weekly updates.
Schedules regular reporting to the Bishop, Cabinet, Priest Council and Finance Council as requested.
Effectively communicates with Pastors, Principals, Chancery and other constituents so that priorities, activities and logistics are clearly articulated at all levels of the Diocese.
Finances and Operations:

Conducts monthly reviews to ensure accountability of all project activities as well as the accurate and timely reporting of project and financial deliverables and obligations.
Experience in setting and reviewing budgets and managing costs.
Gathers data and compiles reports, fiscal and general, which are requested and required by the Diocese.
Reviews detailed financials and reports any budgetary issues to the Chief Operating/Chief Financial Officer.
Collaboration and Communication:

Responsible for overall communication of the project working in strong collaboration with the Communication team and COO.
Develops effective and collaborative relationships with people across disciplines, levels, and geographies.
Works with Management / Administration / Pastors to develop trust within the Diocese to ensure positive working relationships with parishes, schools, and other internal and external stakeholders.
Works with the Bishop’s leadership teams to create and coordinate organizational processes and technology needed for the definition of project performance, including definition of goals, objectives, outcomes, targets, and key performance indicators
Acts as the primary project contact person and liaison, ensuring the project is being communicated to all key stakeholders.
Coordinates organizational relationship with partners and Chancery leadership related to monitoring and evaluation, providing support in facilitating technical collaboration and coordination activities with stakeholders.
Works closely with the COO to ensure compliance with programmatic targets and deliverables.
Promotes the project through presentations, and participation in meetings, councils and leadership.

Excellent organizational & administration skills
Excellent interpersonal, communication, and leadership skills
Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to tailor words and pictures to different audiences and present credibly to senior leadership teams
Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint); experience with project management tools, and data management systems
Be able to interpret, analyze & present data & statistics in reports, tables & graphs and able to work with budgets & financial information
Experience of enabling organizational change through project management and embedding these changes firmly in an organization
Demonstrated ability to synthesize data, set actionable goals and drive metrics and execution.
Willing to go the extra mile with a strong work ethic; self-directed and resourceful with the ability to deal with conflict and drive to solution.
High integrity and a good reputation.
Desire and competency to work in diverse racial, ethnic, cultural and religious settings with commitment to pluralism in the workplace as well as an understanding of mission.
Ability to operate flexibly and effectively in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
Proven ability to work creatively and analytically in a problem-solving environment with strong teamwork, motivational and influential skills.
Must consistently demonstrate professionalism, confidentiality, discretion, good judgment and poise.
Strong preference for candidates with expertise/experience in non-profits and in multicultural settings.
Demonstrated diplomatic, management, and communication skills with a variety of groups.
Excellent people management skills


To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to carry out each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, ability or physical demands required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the position.

Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field from an accredited university with at least 7 years of experience in project management. Ability to think strategically and act pragmatically; able to produce plans and deliver results without losing sight of the strategic context. Proven ability to exercise discretion, good judgment, and maintain confidentiality. The ability to listen well, maintain composure, think clearly and decisively. Excellent communication, facilitating and presenting skills needed. Adept at collecting, analyzing, and responding to multiple forms of data. Certification in project management (PMP) desired.

Language Skills: Effective verbal and written communication skills in English; ability to read and write correspondence, reports, and procedure manuals; ability to effectively present and explain information, respond to questions, and provide additional resources as necessary. Spanish, Vietnamese or other second language desired.

Leadership Skills: Strong ability to provide direction, inspiration, communication, and guidance. Exhibit confidence, commitment, and ambition. Nurture the strengths and talents of employees and build teams committed to achieving common goals.

Computational Skills: Basic math, bookkeeping and budgeting skills and the ability to use a calculator.

Reasoning Ability: Ability to consider information and options and make good decisions independently. Ability to think logically, track sequence of events, and maintain strict confidentiality of very sensitive situations. Ability to read, analyze and communicate procedures and policies. Ability to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.

Technical Skills: Proficient in Office 365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Project Management IT systems, Learning Management Systems, and Content Management Software.

Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Fingerprint background clearance through the California Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigations required as a condition of employment.

Physical Demands: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is usually required to sit for extended periods and to use hands in repetitive motion tasks. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently move or lift objects up to 40 lbs.

Physical Environment: This position has an office workspace with a door for privacy and confidentiality. The noise level is usually low. The employee will work off-site as needed where the physical environment will vary.

Working Conditions: Employee must be physically present in the office, able to work cooperatively with diocesan staff, community entities and clients. This position required occasional weekends and/or evenings. The employee will travel off-site for meetings as needed and occasional travel outside the Diocese.

Other Requirements:

Must have knowledge of Church structure, culture, and its mission.
Ability to articulate and communicate the vision, mission, and philosophy of the Diocese of San Jose.
Able to demonstrate a successful track record in Project management, including delivering on multiple projects, often simultaneously and lead projects with a diverse range of stakeholders from different disciplines and with differing viewpoints.
Proven leadership ability with community, religious, social and professional organizations.
Familiarity with Santa Clara County, and the roles and responsibilities of parishes and dioceses in the U.S.
Ability and willingness to operate within a complex, culturally and economically diverse environment, including a multicultural work place.